1. Visalia-Porterville, CA: Visalia sits 43 miles south of Fresno in the San Joaquin Valley. The average commute time in Visalia is 21 minutes, which is less than the national average of 25 minutes. Visalia Transit also provides Dial-A-Ride curb-to-curb service on a shared-ride, demand-response basis in the local area. If you live in Porterville and don't have anyone to carpool with, try taking the Porterville Transit to save fuel.
2. Hanford-Corcoran, CA: Hanford and Corcoran are also in the southern part of the San Joaquin Valley. The Kings Area Rural Transit (KART) operates a bus service and carpool service for commuters. Kings County is paving the way for making carpooling accessible an option for its residents.
3. Bakersfield, CA: Bakersfield sits on the southern end of the San Joaquin Valley and is the 9th largest city in California. Almost 15% of residents reported carpooling to work. If you don't have anyone to carpool with in Bakersfield, try using the Golden Empire Transit bus system. The GET bus system is committed to being sustainable, and it's a simple way to save fuel.
4. Stockton-Lodi, CA
5. Odessa, TX
1. Moultrie, GA: Moultrie is located in southern Georgia, just 60 miles from Florida. With a population of 45,987 people, the county ranks as our No. 1 greenest medium-size area for carpooling. In Moultrie, the average travel time to work is 18 minutes, which is 31% lower than the national average. Eighteen percent of workers carpool, compared to the national average of 10%.
2. Arcadia, FL: Arcadia – in DeSoto County – is famous for its historic downtown antique district. The average time for a one-way commute is 23 minutes, and approximately 17% of workers carpool. South Florida Commuter Services is also a popular option for carpooling in Arcadia. Residents can create an online profile and then find other people interested in carpooling.
3. Kingsville, TX: In southern Texas, Kingsville has a traditional, small-town Texas feel. Approximately 23% of area residents reported they use green transportation. Kingsville is part of the Corpus Christi area, where the Corpus Christi Regional Transportation Authority (CCRTA) manages bus routes and bike paths for residents.
4. Alamogordo, NM
5. Rio Grande City, TX
1. Liberal, KS: Also one of our overall small cities with green transportation, Liberal comes in at No. 1 for carpooling. The average commute time in Liberal is 15.4 minutes, and almost 22% of residents carpool to work.
2. Dumas, TX: Dumas is a small city in northern Texas. More than 21% of residents carpool to work and the average commute time is 19.4 minutes.
3. Winnemucca, NV: Winnemucca is also on our lists for overall green cities and small cities with public transportation. More than 18% of residents carpool in Winnemucca.
4. Craig, CO
5. Guymon, OK