Working out in the fresh air can help clear your mind and save energy. In January, everyone has a new gym membership and a long list of New Year's Resolutions. But by summer, using the indoor machines has gotten boring, plus the air conditioning, lights and electric machines use tons of energy! Try mixing things up and take your workout outside. Whether you prefer organized group fitness or working out solo, there is something for everyone!
If you live in Austin…
- Check out Austin Outdoor Gym. These outdoor workout classes take place in Austin's parks. This gym combines fitness and core strength. Classes include TRX, kettlebells, dumbbells and stability balls. After your free personal training session, you can choose to purchase the classes that best fit your schedule.
- Explore Brooklyn Brian Brown Fitness. This group has free open training at Mueller Lake Park. Bring a yoga mat and a set of dumbbells for this 45-minute workout. Brooklyn Brian Brown Fitness also has classes in Zilker Park near the volleyball courts. The trees provide plenty of shade and the park has access to hiking and biking trails.
If you live in Dallas…
- Try a yoga class in Klyde Warren Park. The Dallas Yoga Center hosts a class in the park on Saturday mornings. Other classes in Klyde Warren Park include boot camp, tai chi and Zumba. The classes are sponsored by Cigna, making them free for Dallas residents!
- Visit the Katy Trail. This historic trail is built along an old railroad line. The concrete trail is marked with mileage so you can keep track of how far you go. Lace up your running shoes and hit the trail!
If you live in Houston…
- Memorial Park has something for everyone: croquet, cycling, skating, golf, mountain biking, hiking trails, tennis courts and more. Grab your friends and meet at the park for an outdoor workout!
- Challenge yourself and get in great shape at Spark Fitness boot camp. Adults of all ages and fitness levels are welcome to join. There are classes in four locations: Pasadena, Clear Lake, Baytown and Pearland.
Follow these bloggers
- Sydney Torabi is born and raised in Austin. Check out her blog Spinsyddy. This blogger loves to work out! She writes reviews of local workout studios and posts about free workout events. If you want to stay in the know about Texas workouts, following Spinsyddy is a must.
- On Deep Fried Fit, you can follow Mai Lyn as she works her way through the Dallas food and fitness communities. This girl isn't going to sacrifice fried chicken, but she definitely exercises enough to burn it off.