Moving is no easy task. From packing up your things to setting up your new home, the act of relocating can be a challenge. Follow this checklist to make sure you move stays on track!
Plan for your move
- Call to schedule the disconnection of utilities for your move date.
- Discontinue services, such as Internet or cable in your old home.
- Arrange to take time off from work to accommodate your move.
- Reserve a moving truck, or hire a professional moving company.
- Decide on the meals you will eat leading up to your move. Don't buy more perishable items than you plan to consume.
Start the packing process
- Gather boxes, tape and other packing essentials.
- Go through your things and donate or sell items you would like to get rid of.
- Pack the items you would like to take with you to your new home. Have plenty of materials to cushion your items, such as clean towels, bubble wrap or newspaper.
- Gather moving day essentials, such as toiletries, cleaning supplies, snacks, drinks, first aid supplies and the keys to your new place.
Prepare for you new home
- Set up you utility services for your new home following this step-by-step guide.
- Check into options for television, Internet and phone services.
- Forward your mail and notify the Post Office of your change your address.
- Unpack your belongings and arrange your furniture.
- Add or update your home security system.
- Update your driver's license with your new address and register your vehicle if you've moved out of state.
- Explore your new neighborhood.