Why trust SaveOnEnergy?Learn More
At SaveOnEnergy, we work to offer accurate information with editorial integrity. Our partners do not direct our editorial content, though we may reference their products in our posts. Read more about how we make money.
NEVER use a grill, generator, or camping stove in your home, basement, garage, or carport. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), grills, generators, and stoves should be used outdoors and at least 20 feet away from any window, door, or vent. This precaution is to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, which can occur from breathing in the fumes from items that burn fuel. Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas, and poisoning from it can occur in less than five minutes. Warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion, according to the CDC. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 immediately. With these precautions in mind, you can heat food with charcoal or propane grills during a power outage. You can also use a camping stove or even an outdoor fire pit. Try to eat perishable food before your pantry items. Food in your refrigerator will stay cold for about four hours, and items in the freezer for about 24 hours. Opening the doors as little as possible will help keep the cold inside longer.