SaveOnEnergy.com® is not affiliated with PG&E
Pacific Gas & Electric – From the Sierra Nevadas to the Pacific Ocean
Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) is a California electric company and natural gas utility that serves central and northern California – from Bakersfield to Eureka and from the Sierra Nevada Mountains to the Pacific Ocean. In fact, PG and E is one of the largest combination electric and natural gas utilities in the United States. Headquartered in San Francisco, PG&E CA is a part of PG&E Corporation. Since its formation in 1905, this California electric company and gas company has grown to have more than 16 million customers in its 70,000 square mile service territory. If you purchase electricity or natural gas in central or northern California, chances are, it’s delivered by Pacific Gas and Electric.
Renewable energy from PG&E
According to its website, PG&E CA generates around 50% of its electricity from renewable and greenhouse gas-free resources. About 80% of PG and E’s energy mix comes from a combination of hydro, solar, wind, geothermal, nuclear and natural gas. The remaining approximately 20% comes from other generation methods. On top of this utility’s goal to have about one-third of its energy sources renewable by 2020, under California’s renewable portfolio standard, PG and E is also investing in cleaning up its conventional power plants. For example, its Contra Costa County Gateway Generating Station produces far less emissions than older fossil fuel power plants and its dry cooling method reduces the plant’s water usage by 97%.
PG&E supports the California Solar Initiative
PG&E is also an active participant in the California Solar Initiative, allowing its customers to establish their own home solar power system and contribute to the grid for credit and net-metering (over-generation rebates). In 2011, PG and E set aside $137 million in rebates for its more than 100,000 customers who have home solar power micro-generation sites. If you’re a customer of PG&E who is considering going solar, know that PG&E has helped more customers go solar and connect to the grid than any other utility in the United States. All you have to do to get your home solar power system approved is go through PG and E’s application process. However, you may be able to find a solar power company that takes care of the paperwork for you, as well as other incentives such as installation, maintenance and even warranties.
New to energy deregulation? Need help finding a plan?
WE’RE HERE! CALL 1-855-209-8145