About Direct Energy
Direct Energy is one of the largest suppliers of electricity and natural gas in the U.S. and all of North America. The company serves all 50 states, and customers in 12 states and the District of Columbia can get their electricity from Direct Energy.
The SaveOnEnergy marketplace allows you to compare Direct Energy plans and rates with options from other providers in your area. Read on to learn more about Direct Energy, and enter your ZIP code to start comparing plans near you.
Direct Energy at-a-glance
- Offers electricity, natural gas, and home protection plans
- One of the largest energy providers in North America, serving all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, and eight Canadian provinces
- Provides fixed- and variable-rate residential plans and commercial plans for businesses
Direct Energy plans
Direct Energy offers a variety of electricity plans to best fit your needs. You can choose from a range of different term lengths, along with special perks such as free Amazon Prime or 100% renewable energy.
Before you select a plan, be sure to read the Electricity Facts Label EFL) to help you determine the best option for you. The EFL is a document from the energy provider with details such as the average price per kilowatt-hour (kWh), usage credits, and contract length.
Twelve Hour Power 24 On Us
Direct Energy’s most popular plan offers a 24-month fixed-rate, two years of Amazon Prime for free, and free electricity from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. The Twelve Hour Power plan also includes 100% renewable energy. You’ll pay a $295 early termination fee (ETF) if you cancel your contract early without moving.
Live Brighter 24 On Us
The Live Brighter 24 On Us plan is a 24-month fixed-rate energy plan that offers 100% renewable energy. It also includes two years of Amazon Prime for free. The ETF for this plan is $295 unless you are moving.
Live Brighter 12 Autopay
The Live Brighter 12 plan is a 12-month fixed-rate energy plan that allows customers to lock in their energy rate for one year. Regardless of market fluctuations, your rate will stay the same for the length of the contract. You can secure lower rates be setting up autopay, and the ETF for this plan is $150.
Direct Energy also offers a variable-rate plan with no early termination fee and rates that can change month to month. This option may be a good choice for customers who prefer the flexibility to change plans or are unsure about entering a long-term contract.
Direct Energy reviews
|Overall SaveOnEnergy score||4/5|
We’ve broken down our scoring model into three main categories:
- Customer service (Power to Choose complaint score; Satisfaction guarantee)
- Online accessibility (Online bill pay; Online chat; Access to usage alerts & trends)
- Business history (Number of years in business; Accreditation by the BBB)
For more information on SaveOnEnergy.com reviews, you can find the full list here.
(Ratings updated 09/08/2022)
Services offered by Direct Energy
Direct Energy for residential customers
Direct Energy offers fixed-rate options for residential customers, with contracts ranging from seven to 24 months. Fixed-rate plans are a great option for customers who value a straightforward contract with rates that don’t fluctuate.
SaveOnEnergy customer service is available to answer questions about Direct Energy plans. Call the number on your screen or chat with a customer service representative online to learn about electricity rates and plans in your area.
Direct Energy for business customers
Direct Energy also offers flexible and affordable business energy plans. Each plan has an easy enrollment process so small and large businesses can build the right plan for their needs. Visit our business energy page or call the number on your screen to learn more.
Green energy options with Direct Energy
Each energy plan in Texas includes a percentage of green energy from solar or wind sources. Direct Energy even offers several plans that include 100% green energy so customers can be confident they’re working to reduce their carbon footprint.
Other Direct Energy initiatives
Direct Energy has other ambitions for its customers, including:
- Refer-a-Friend program: Direct Energy allows customers to get a $75 credit on their bill and a $75 credit to their friend for each referral.
- Home protection plans: Direct Energy offers home protection plans for customers to protect their household appliances and HVAC systems. Plans cover plumbing repairs, heating and cooling maintenance, and appliance rentals.
- Free Amazon Prime: Many of Direct Energy’s fixed-rate plans include a unique offering: free Amazon Prime for the length of the contract.
Direct Energy services areas
Direct Energy is one of the leading electric providers in Texas and serves customers across much of the state. Below are some of the utility service areas and cities that Direct Energy serves:
- AEP Texas: This service area covers much of northern Texas, including Abilene, San Angelo, Corpus Christi, Laredo, and McAllen.
- CenterPoint Energy: This service area covers approximately two million residents and businesses in Houston.
- Texas-New Mexico Power: This service area covers cities such as Houston, Midland, and Dallas–Fort-Worth.
- Oncor Electric Delivery: This service area spans across Texas, including cities such as Dallas, Plano, and more.
SaveOnEnergy’s tips for easy electricity service setup
- Don’t forget to read your plan’s Electricity Facts Label before signing up. It contains important information including:
- Price per kilowatt-hour based on usage
- % renewable energy sourcing
- Early termination fees
- Enjoy hassle-free supplier setup. Once your order has been confirmed, your new supplier will set up service with your utility, or transmission and distribution service provider (TDSP) – but don’t worry, there shouldn’t be any interruption to your power during the switch.
- Understanding your electricity bill. Your local TDSP will still deliver your electricity and maintain electric infrastructure including meters and power lines. Your utility fees can be found as TDU or TDSP charges on your monthly bill. They are independent of your supplier rate.
How to move or transfer service with Direct Energy
Direct Energy makes it easy to transfer your energy service if you move to a new home. You should usually inform Direct Energy of your move at least 48 hours before, though two weeks is customary. The company will handle all the logistics on its end. If you’re moving outside of Direct Energy’s service area, the company will waive the early termination fee (ETF) to end your contract early.
Direct Energy electric rates in my area
Utility transmission rates vary across the state of Texas. As a result, the amount you pay for a plan in one part of Texas could be different from what someone pays in another part of the Lone Star state, even for the same Direct Energy plan. That’s why it’s important to shop for electricity rates specific to your location.
The SaveOnEnergy marketplace offers the most accurate and up-to-date electric rates in your area. Enter your ZIP code to check energy rates and plans available near you.