At SaveOnEnergy, we work to offer accurate information with editorial integrity. Our partners do not direct our editorial content, though we may reference their products in our posts. Read more about how we make money.
About Gexa Energy
Gexa Energy is a retail electricity provider (REP) specializing in renewable energy, with 100% green plans for residential and commercial energy customers across Texas. Founded in 2002, the Houston-based company is a subsidiary of NextEra Energy Resources, which also serves electricity customers in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and several other states.
If you live in a deregulated area of Texas, you can choose your own plan and provider — which could include Gexa Energy. Submit your ZIP code on this page to view Gexa Energy rates in your city today.
Gexa Energy at-a-glance
- Exclusively offers 100% green energy plans
- Serves both residential and commercial energy consumers
- Offers a 60-day satisfaction guarantee for new residential customers
Gexa Energy plans
The most popular Gexa Energy plans can be found on the free SaveOnEnergy marketplace. It’s important to note that Gexa Energy rates and plan availability vary by location. To learn more about a particular plan, enter your ZIP code and check out the plan’s Electricity Facts Label (EFL).
Gexa Saver Deluxe 12 and 24
Both of these fixed-rate Gexa Energy plans are 100% renewable and reward you with a $100 bill credit each month that you use 1,000 to 2,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity. The Gexa Saver Deluxe 12 plan includes a year-long contract, while the Gexa Saver Deluxe 24 comes with a two-year agreement.
Gexa Superb Saver 12 and 24
Like the previous products, the Gexa Super Saver 12 and 24 plans are fixed-rate (with one- and two-year contracts, respectively) and 100% green. Under these plans, you’ll receive a $50 bill credit if your monthly energy usage is between 1,500 and 1,999 kWh or a $100 credit for usage between 2,000 and 2,500 kWh.
Gexa Eco Saver Plus 12
If you choose this fixed-rate energy plan, you’ll enter into a 12-month contract with Gexa Energy. During that time, your rate won’t change, and you’ll earn a $125 usage credit for each month you consume 1,000 kWh or more.
Gexa Saver Value 12
The Gexa Saver Value 12 is another one-year, fixed-rate plan. Whenever you use between 500 and 999 kWh in a given month, you’ll get a $35 bill credit. If you use between 1,000 and 1,500 kWh, the bill credit increases to $50.
Gexa Energy reviews
|Overall SaveOnEnergy score||3.1/5|
We’ve broken down our scoring model into three main categories:
- Customer service (Power to Choose complaint score; Satisfaction guarantee)
- Online accessibility (Online bill pay; Online chat; Access to usage alerts & trends)
- Business history (Number of years in business; Accreditation by the BBB)
For more information on SaveOnEnergy.com reviews, see the full list here.
(Ratings updated 09/08/2022)
Services offered by Gexa Energy
Gexa Energy for residential customers
Gexa Energy is best known for its 100% green residential electricity plans, each of which has a 60-day satisfaction guarantee. While most of these Gexa Energy plans are fixed-rate, the company has variable-rate (also known as month-to-month) options as well. You can explore plans in your area by calling the number on your screen or typing in your ZIP code on this page.
Gexa Energy for business customers
In addition to its residential energy services, Gexa Energy also sells commercial electricity plans. The company works with small and large businesses in various industries, including real estate, hospitality, retail, education, and government. Commercial energy customers have access to Gexa Energy’s online tools to help them track usage, manage billing, and more.
Green energy options with Gexa Energy
All Gexa Energy plans are fully green, which usually means that the company will purchase Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) on your behalf to offset your carbon usage. However, Gexa Energy also offers certain plans designed specifically for people with home solar systems.
Other Gexa Energy initiatives
- Gexa Energy Solutions: Businesses and government organizations can work with Gexa Energy Solutions to revamp their energy management processes and become more energy efficient through changes like HVAC system improvements and solar installation.
- Integrated Efficiency: This program helps businesses monitor their electricity consumption on a smaller scale and create a customized conservation plan.
- Community involvement: Gexa Energy supports several local charities across Texas, including the Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Family Alliance and Nora’s Home. It also runs a Community Heroes program, which provides grants to customer-nominated causes.
Gexa Energy services areas
As a Texas-based company, Gexa Energy serves communities across the state, including these utility service areas:
- AEP Texas: This utility’s service area focuses on the central and northern parts of the state, including cities such as Abilene and Laredo.
- CenterPoint Energy: This company serves the Houston area and parts of southern and eastern Texas.
- Oncor Electric Delivery: The biggest portion of this utility’s service area is Dallas–Fort Worth, but it also serves smaller communities like Waco and Midland.
- Texas-New Mexico Power: This utility operates in multiple areas of Texas, including parts of Dallas and Houston.
SaveOnEnergy’s tips for easy electricity service setup
- Read your plan’s Electricity Facts Label (EFL) before signing up. It contains important information including:
- Price per kWh based on usage
- Percent of renewable energy sourcing
- Early termination fees
- Enjoy hassle-free supplier setup. Once you have an order confirmation, your new supplier will set up service with your utility or transmission and distribution service provider (TDSP) — but don’t worry, your power will stay on during the switch.
- Understand your electricity bill. Your local TDSP will still deliver your electricity and maintain electric infrastructure including meters and power lines. Your utility fees will appear as TDU or TDSP charges on your monthly bill. They are independent of your supplier rate
How to move or transfer service with Gexa Energy
Need to transfer your Gexa Energy electricity service before you move? The process is simple. At least two days ahead of time (although two weeks is customary), reach out to Gexa Energy and let them know that you’ll be moving. They’ll ensure you have power at your new home, or if you’re moving outside of their service area, they’ll end your contract and waive any early termination fees (ETFs).
Gexa Energy electric rates in my area
Depending on where you live within Texas, your Gexa Energy rate could differ from someone else’s in a neighboring town — even if you have the same plan. Electric rates vary by location since utility companies each have different transmission charges.
When shopping for a new energy plan, make sure that you’re only viewing electricity rates near you — otherwise, you might see inaccurate prices.
With SaveOnEnergy, it’s easy to find up-to-date rates in your area. All you need to do is submit your ZIP code, and you’ll get a list of plans and providers near you, with the option to sort by rate, term length, and more.
Contact Gexa Energy
Gexa Energy FAQs
During the application process, Gexa Energy will run a credit check to determine whether or not you need to pay a deposit. A deposit may not be necessary if you have a strong credit history. You may also be able to avoid a deposit by signing up with a provider that offers no-deposit or prepaid plans.
If you cancel a fixed-rate plan early, Gexa Energy will charge you a cancellation fee of $150 (12-month plans) or $295 (24-month plans). There are no fees to cancel a variable-rate plan. Gexa will waive the cancellation fee if you’re moving outside of the provider’s service area.
Gexa Energy was established in 2002, the same year that deregulation took effect in Texas. You can learn more about the company’s business history in the Gexa Energy reviews section on this page.
The Gexa Energy rates on SaveOnEnergy include everything except taxes.