At SaveOnEnergy, we work to offer accurate information with editorial integrity. Our partners do not direct our editorial content, though we may reference their products in our posts. Read more about how we make money.
About Frontier Utilities
Frontier Utilities is among the leading energy providers in Texas. Frontier was established in 2008 and is based in Houston. The company offers electricity and natural gas services to customers in several states across the U.S., including Texas, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Illinois. In 2012, a group of Texas-based investors led by Quintana Infrastructure & Development purchased the energy provider. The company sells fixed and variable-rate energy plans to residential customers, as well as business plans.
Most of Texas has a deregulated energy market, meaning customers can select their electricity provider. Frontier Utilities is one of the many options you can choose from. Enter your ZIP code to find Frontier Utilities energy rates in your area.
Frontier Utilities at-a-glance
- Offers fixed-rate and variable-rate energy plans to residential customers
- Allows customers to choose energy plans supplied by 100% green energy
- Offers affordable energy rates in many areas across the Lone Star State
Frontier Utilities plans
Frontier Utilities has a various energy plans, making it easy for you to find the best option for your needs. Each 12-month fixed-rate plan has an early termination fee (ETF) of $150. There may be some cases where you can avoid paying an ETF, such as if you move out of Frontier’s service area. You can read more about some of Frontier’s most popular plans below.
Frontier Super Value 12 and 24
Frontier Super Value 12 and 24 are the company’s most affordable energy plans and among the most competitively priced plans on the market in many service areas. These 12- and 24-month fixed-rate energy plans allow customers to lock in a low rate for one or two full years.
Frontier Max 12 and 24
The Frontier Max 12 and 24 are 12- and 24-month fixed-rate energy plans that allow customers to pay the same electricity rate for one year. These plans are well-suited to customers with high usage habits.
Frontier Utilities Reviews
|Overall SaveOnEnergy score||2.9/5|
We’ve broken down our scoring model into three main categories:
- Customer service (Power to Choose complaint score; Satisfaction guarantee)
- Online accessibility (Online bill pay; Online chat; Access to usage alerts & trends)
- Business history (Number of years in business; Accreditation by the BBB)
For more information on SaveOnEnergy.com reviews, you can find the full list here.
(Ratings updated 09/08/2022)
Services offered by Frontier Utilities
Frontier Utilities for residential customers
Frontier Utilities offers various electricity plans for Texas residents. You can choose fixed-rate, variable-rate, no-deposit, or prepaid energy plans. Call the number on your screen or enter your ZIP code to start browsing.
Frontier Utilities for business customers
Business owners looking for high-quality customer service and affordable energy prices have several options from Frontier Utilities. Whether you operate a small business or a larger operation, you can talk to Frontier about your specific requirements to get the best terms for your business.
Green energy options with Frontier Utilities
Frontier’s standard energy plans include 15% green energy, but the company also allows customers to choose a 100% green energy plan. In fact, all Texas energy plans include a certain portion of green energy, thanks to the significant wind and solar energy generation in the Lone Star State.
Other Frontier Utilities initiatives
- Air conditioner tune-ups: Frontier Utilities customers served by CenterPoint Energy or Texas-New Mexico Power TDSP may have the option of obtaining a free tune-up for their air conditioner. The CoolSaver A/C tune-up is available to qualifying residential customers in single-family homes, duplexes, townhomes, or condos. The tune-up may help you save energy by making your air conditioner more efficient.
- Charity contributions: Frontier Utilities supports many Texas charities, including Habitat for Humanity, Workshop Houston, and Kicks 4 Kids. The company also has programs that donate to specific causes when you sign up for premier products. Recipients include the Susan G. Koman Foundation-Houston.
Frontier Utilities services areas
Frontier Utilities is one of Texas’ most widely used electricity providers, serving many large and small communities across the state. Here are some of the cities and utility service areas where Frontier plans are available:
- Oncor Electric Delivery: The largest energy delivery company in the state serves 98 counties in Texas. It serves Fort Worth, Waco, and Odessa.
- CenterPoint Energy: This energy utility serves the Houston metropolitan area and parts of southern and eastern Texas.
- Texas-New Mexico Power: In business for more than four decades, TNMP delivers electricity to Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, and Midland.
- AEP Texas: AEP has divisions in Central and North Texas. The company serves Corpus Christi, Laredo, and Abilene.
SaveOnEnergy’s tips for easy electricity service setup
- Don’t forget to read your plan’s Electricity Facts Label before signing up. It contains important information including:
- Price per kilowatt-hour based on usage
- % renewable energy sourcing
- Early termination fees
- Enjoy hassle-free supplier setup. Once your order has been confirmed, your new supplier will set up service with your utility, or transmission and distribution service provider (TDSP) – but don’t worry, there shouldn’t be any interruption to your power during the switch.
- Understanding your electricity bill. Your local TDSP will still deliver your electricity and maintain electric infrastructure including meters and power lines. Your utility fees can be found as TDU or TDSP charges on your monthly bill. They are independent of your supplier rate.
How to move or transfer service with Frontier Utilities
Frontier Utilities has a straightforward procedure for moving service to different addresses. To ensure the process runs smoothly, we recommend that you notify your provider at least two weeks before your move. If your new residence is not in Frontier’s service area, you won’t have to pay an ETF when you terminate your plan.
Frontier Utilities electric rates in my area
Electricity rates vary because utilities charge delivery fees. Two customers with the same energy plan may have different electricity bills if they live in different locations. On the SaveOnEnergy marketplace, you can see the best electricity rates for your area. Enter your ZIP code to find accurate local electricity rates.
Contact Frontier Utilities
- Headquarters: Houston
- Bill pay: Log into your online Frontier Utilities Account here or call 1-866-926-8192
- Customer service: Call 1-866-926-8192
- Outages: Contact your utility company directly
Frontier Utilities FAQs
Suppliers typically check your credit when you sign up for an energy plan. If you don’t pass the credit check, you might have to pay a deposit before activating your account. No-deposit energy plans offer you a way to avoid paying this charge. With this plan, you pay for service upfront as you would load a gift card. As your balance drops, you’ll have to reload it at regular intervals with more money.
Cancellation fees only apply to fixed-rate plans canceled before the term expires. You’ll incur a $150 fee for a 12-month plan and a $175 fee for the 24-month option. However, you can bypass these fees if you’re moving out of a Frontier Utilities service area.
A fixed-rate plan may work best if you need a low energy rate locked in with no surprises. Variable-rate plans are great if you want to save money by using energy at specific times of the day when it’s cheaper to do so. Green energy plans are ideal for people who want to help the environment by powering their home with clean energy. Ultimately, your needs and priorities will determine what you think the best Frontier Utilities plan is.
Frontier offers electricity plans for both residential and commercial customers. Residential plans give you access to fixed-rate and variable-rate electricity, renewable energy incentives, and ways to avoid a credit check. Frontier also provides competitive prices and attractive services to meet the energy needs of business customers.