What is Direct Energy?
Spanning 50 U.S. states and 10 Canadian provinces, Direct Energy is the largest residential energy retailer in North America, offering electricity supply, natural gas supply and other home services to almost 5 million customers. The company was founded in 1986, and joined the ranks of Centrica, plc's family of companies in 2000, which covers an international customer base of more than 20 million.
- Headquarters: Houston, TX
- Founded: 1986
- Subsidiary of Centrica, plc
- Markets served: California, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec.
- Read up-to-date press releases from Direct Energy.
- Learn how Direct Energy is involved in the community.
If you live in a market with energy choice and are serviced by this company or one of its brands, you might have access to a range of supply plans, such as prepaid electricity, renewable energy or natural gas, that work for your specific budget and the needs of your home or business. Whether you're on the hunt for a fixed-rate plan to stabilize the price per kWh you consume for the length of a long-term contract or you want the month-to-month freedom of a variable-rate plan, Direct Energy might be a good option.
Read how Direct Energy works with communities
As an energy company offering electricity and natural gas supply to several markets across the continent, Direct Energy, as stated on its website, tries to make a difference in the communities it serve. In 2015 alone, company employees volunteered more than 9,500 hours to different nonprofits and community programs. As a partner of the Children’s Miracle Network, the retailer also announced to commit $5 million to Texas Children’s Hospital, the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital in Houston and Texas Children’s Heart Center.