Connecticut energy rates
Residents in the state of Connecticut are fortunate to be able to choose the company that supplies their electricity. Less than half the states in the country give their residents this choice. This allows you to find the most favorable Connecticut electricity rates.
You can choose between fixed-rate plans, where the rate you’re charged for your electricity usage stays the same throughout the term of your contract; or variable-rate plans, where the rate you’re charged could change from month to month, based on the current market. You can also choose the length of your contract and from green energy options.
Compare Eversource Energy Electricity Rates
|Plan Name||Plan Length||Rate|
|Constellation - 36 Month Home Power Plan||36 months||$0.095 / kWh|
|Public Power - 14 Month Fixed||14 months||$0.101 / kWh|
|Clearview Energy - ClearGreenGuarantee12||12 months||$0.102 / kWh|
|Verde Energy - Clean Power 12||12 months||$0.104 / kWh|
Please note: All rates above are accurate as of 9/23/2021, 7:20:22 AM CDT for utility Eversource Energy (formerly CL&P). Rates may have changed since this date/time. For the most up to date rates in your area, please enter your zip code above.
Energy deregulation in Connecticut
In 1998, the state of Connecticut passed Public Act (PA) 98-28 that would give its residents the right to choose from among Connecticut electric suppliers beginning in 1999.
Unfortunately, this opportunity for residents to select suppliers does not apply to natural gas. However, Connecticut natural gas prices are regulated by Connecticut’s Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA).
PURA also oversees the process and market for electricity providers.
Energy plans in Connecticut
It can be a difficult decision choosing from Connecticut electric suppliers. There are so many factors to consider, including Connecticut electricity prices, terms, and more. Save On Energy can help you through this process. We have many resources so you can learn how to make the best decision for your situation.
Among our resources are:
- Information on the state’s electric providers
- Information on Connecticut electricity rates
- What’s important when choosing a plan
- Learn about prepaid plans
- There are some plans that don’t require a deposit, which can be helpful for people with poor credit
- How to switch to a new provider
- See how your electric bills compare to other states
Specific things you’ll want to know:
- Fixed rate plans — With these plans, the rate you’re charged for your electric usage will stay the same throughout your contract.
- Variable rate plans — With these plans, your usage rate could change monthly as Connecticut electricity rates are based on current market conditions.
- Prepaid plans — In some cases, you may want to pay for your electricity before you use it. Then, instead of paying monthly, you only add to your account when it’s needed.
- Renewable energy plans — You can help reduce your carbon footprint by choosing this type of plan.
If you decide not to select from Connecticut electric suppliers, you’ll purchase your electricity through your local utility company.
Connecticut energy companies
Connecticut has two electric utilities — Eversource and United Illuminating. These companies maintain your local power lines, restore any electrical outages, and deliver your electricity to your home from the supplier you choose.
Residents can choose from more than 125 Connecticut electric suppliers. Among these are Clearview Energy, Constellation, Direct Energy, and Public Power. When shopping based on Connecticut electricity prices, these are the companies you’ll be purchasing from.
Find the right energy plan with Save On Energy
To help you make the difficult decision of choosing from Connecticut electric suppliers, Save On Energy offers a free online marketplace. With our comparison tool, you can see Connecticut electricity prices and terms, along with renewable, prepaid, and no-deposit options for energy plans in your area.
To start using Save On Energy’s free comparison tool:
- Enter your zip code to get the list of available providers, their plans, and Connecticut electricity rates.
- Choose your plan and sign up online through our site or by calling the provided phone number.
- Let your new provider complete the setup and enjoy your new plan.
New to energy deregulation? Need help finding a plan?
WE’RE HERE! CALL 1-855-209-8145