Table of ContentsCompare Houston electricity rates How to find the best electricity rates in Houston with SaveOnEnergy.com Cheap energy prices in Houston Energy providers and utility companies in Houston Electricity rates in my area SaveOnEnergy’s tips for easy electricity service setup Types of plans in Houston Houston energy FAQs Calculate your energy usage in Houston
Brands you know. Rates you can trust. Energy that works for you.
Call Today! 1-855-209-8145
Compare Houston electricity rates
|Plan Name||Plan Length||Rate|
|Frontier Utilities - Frontier Super Value 12||12 months||$0.081 / kWh|
|Express Energy - Flash Bundled 12||12 months||$0.081 / kWh|
|Gexa Energy - Gexa Saver Deluxe 12||12 months||$0.082 / kWh|
|4Change Energy - Maxx Saver Select 24||24 months||$0.082 / kWh|
|Just Energy - Power Plus 12||12 months||$0.095 / kWh|
|Constellation - 12 Month Flat Tier Product||12 months||$0.099 / kWh|
|TriEagle Energy - Real Deal 36||36 months||$0.119 / kWh|
|Cirro - Smart Value 12 Online||12 months||$0.125 / kWh|
|Discount Power - Saver 24||24 months||$0.132 / kWh|
|Pulse Power - Texas Green 36||36 months||$0.133 / kWh|
|TXU Energy - Smart Edge 12||12 months||$0.135 / kWh|
|Reliant - Conservation Plan 24||24 months||$0.139 / kWh|
|Direct Energy - Live Brighter 36||36 months||$0.139 / kWh|
|First Choice Power - You Got This 24||24 months||$0.139 / kWh|
|Chariot Energy - Green Saver 36||36 months||$0.140 / kWh|
|Green Mountain - Pollution Free e-Plus 24 Preferred||24 months||$0.152 / kWh|
|Payless Power - Premier 12 - Prepaid Plan||12 months||$0.168 / kWh|
Please note: All rates above are accurate as of 1/16/2022, 6:07:06 PM CST for ZIP Code 77002. Rates may have changed since this date/time. For the most up to date rates in your area, please enter your zip code above.
How to find the best electricity rates in Houston with SaveOnEnergy.com
Choose your own electricity provider in Houston, TX, with the SaveOnEnergy marketplace. Compare plans from various energy providers to find a low rate for you. Deregulation in the Houston area makes it possible for you to start saving money on your electricity bill today. Just enter your ZIP code above, and you’ll find a list of the available electricity rates and plans available near you.
With SaveOnEnergy, you can quickly shop for the best electricity rates near your Houston home at no cost to you. And our online marketplace is easy to use. Here’s how to process works:
- Shop for cheap electricity rates by entering your ZIP code. View an easy-to-read list to compare the energy providers and electricity rates in your area.
- Sign up quickly. Once you find an electric plan you like, sign up online in minutes. You can also call to speak to one of our energy experts who will help you find a plan that matches your needs and budget.
- Enjoy your energy savings. Your Houston supplier handles the rest of the setup, so you can sit back and relax as your new energy plan begins service.
Cheap energy prices in Houston
This chart (with data provided by the Energy Information Administration) shows the electric prices in cents per kWh for different times of the year. Along with this chart, we will help you find cheap electricity in Houston based on seasonality.
The average electricity rate in Texas is 12.56 cents per kilowatt-hour, but you can find rates as low as 6.9¢/kWh with SaveOnEnergy. The SaveOnEnergy marketplace can help you find the cheapest rates available right now.
Energy providers and utility companies in Houston
Texas energy companies include energy providers and utility companies. Providers buy or generate electricity and sell it to you. The utility company in your area delivers that electricity to your home and maintains power lines.
- Utilities: In Houston, CenterPoint Energy is the utility company.
- Providers: Some of the most popular Houston energy companies include Gexa Energy, TriEagle Energy, Frontier Utilities, and Cirro Energy.
Power outages in Houston
- If you experience a power outage, contact your utility, CenterPoint. Do not contact your energy provider, as it will not be able to help with this matter.
- In Houston, report an outage on the CenterPoint website or by calling 1-800-332-7143.
Electricity rates in my area
Your electricity prices vary based on where you live due to utility fees. Transmission and distribution charges are the cost to transport electricity from the utility facility to your home. Parts of Houston can have the same kind of plans, but could pay different fees.
To find the most accurate rates near you, enter your ZIP code. It will show all the electricity plans and prices available in your area.
Texas Power Grid
Houston typically experiences high temperatures in the summer and mild temperatures in the winter. The average temperature is 91 degrees in July and August, and 60 degrees in January. Electricity usage and demand vary throughout the year in coordination with the changing temps, as do energy prices. You can save on electricity by signing up for a plan during months when demand and rates are low. Use the SaveOnEnergy marketplace to lock in your cheap energy rate with a fixed-rate plan.
Moving to Houston?
Houston is home to more than seven million residents and is one of the nation’s fastest-growing cities. It is also home to affordable electric rates, thanks to deregulation. And when you’re moving to a new area, SaveOnEnergy makes it easy to shop for electricity for your new home. For those moving to the area, find out what energy prices are by entering your new Houston ZIP code at the top of the screen or calling the number on your screen.
SaveOnEnergy’s tips for easy electricity service setup
- Don’t forget to read your plan’s Electricity Facts Label before signing up. It contains important information including:
- Price per kilowatt-hour based on usage
- % renewable energy sourcing
- Early termination fees
- Enjoy hassle-free supplier setup. Once your order has been confirmed, your new supplier will set up service with your utility, or transmission and distribution service provider (TDSP) – but don’t worry, there shouldn’t be any interruption to your power during the switch.
- Understanding your electricity bill. Your local TDSP will still deliver your electricity and maintain electric infrastructure including meters and power lines. Your utility fees can be found as TDU or TDSP charges on your monthly bill. They are independent of your supplier rate.
Types of plans in Houston
There are energy plans for every need in Houston. Types of plans include fixed-rate, no-deposit, variable-rate, renewable energy, green energy, business, and prepaid options. Our guide on selecting an electric plan helps you make sense of all the options available.
If you have questions, feel free to call our energy consultants today.
- Fixed-rate plans: Fixed-rate means you pay the same price for electricity throughout your contract. It is beneficial because you do not have to worry about price hikes. However, if you can cancel before the term ends, you could pay an early termination fee.
- Variable-rate plans: You receive a low rate and no contracts with variable-rate plans. However, your electric prices fluctuate each month based on the wholesale cost of electricity. So, you might pay more for service when energy demand rises.
Green electricity in Houston
Texas generates the most electricity from wind than any other state in the country, and that capacity continues to grow. The Lone Star State is also a leader in solar energy, consistently ranking in the top five states for solar generation. If you are a Houston resident, there are plenty of green energy options in your area.
Every Texas energy plan contains some percentage of renewable energy. You can check for the exact amount on your plan’s Electricity Facts Label (EFL).
But you can also take your desire to go green further. Some providers sell only 100 percent green energy plans, including Gexa Energy, Iberdrola Texas, Chariot Energy, and Green Mountain Energy. Enter your ZIP code above and filter for green energy options to explore renewable plans in your area.
Business energy plans in Houston
Deregulation also gives Houston business owners the power to choose an energy provider in their area. The power to choose your energy provider means businesses can also lock in cheap business electricity rates using SaveOnEnergy. Find the best electricity rates for your business or call the number on the page to speak with a business energy expert.
Houston energy FAQs
Who has the cheapest electricity rates in Houston?
Frontier Utilities, Express Energy, and Pulse Power currently offer the cheapest electricity in Houston, with rates as low as 6.7 cents per kWh. Keep in mind that energy prices fluctuate often, so it’s a good idea to enter your ZIP code and check the current rates from these providers today.
What is the best energy plan in Houston?
There are many great providers to choose from in Houston, each of which has something unique to offer. The best plan for you depends on your needs. Do you prefer variable-rate or fixed-rate billing? What’s your electricity budget? Do you want a green energy plan? Answering these questions can help you choose the best provider for you.
How do I find a green energy plan in Houston?
You can easily find green energy plans in Houston using our marketplace. To get started, just enter your ZIP code above. Once your results appear, you can use the filter feature to show only green energy plans.
How can I lower my utility bill in Houston?
There are plenty of ways you can use to lower your bill. The most straightforward option is to reduce your home’s energy consumption. You can do this by adopting energy-saving habits like turning off the lights in unused rooms or switching to energy-efficient appliances. Another way to save on electricity costs is to switch to a plan with a lower energy rate.
Calculate your energy usage in Houston
Do you want to know how much energy your home uses? You can find out with our calculator. Calculating your energy use can help you find the right plan for your house.