About Champion Energy
Champion Energy is a Houston-based energy provider that serves deregulated customers across the country, in states such as Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and New York. The company was started in 2005 and is part of the Calpine brand, the country’s top producer of electricity from natural gas and geothermal sources.
Depending on where you live, you may be able to sign up for one of Champion Energy’s fixed-rate or variable-rate energy plans. Explore Champion Energy plans in your city by entering your ZIP code above.
Champion Energy at-a-glance
- Offers a diverse selection of energy plans, including long-term and month-to-month options.
- Serves residential, commercial, and industrial energy customers.
- Some plans include additional perks like free usage hours and thermostat rebates.
Champion Energy plans
Below, you’ll find four of Champion Energy’s most popular electricity plans. Before you pick a plan, remember that rates and availability will vary depending on your location. To see offers in your area, submit your ZIP code above.
As a fixed-rate plan, the Champ Saver-12 offers the benefit of a secure electricity rate and a one-year contract. Your rate won’t change during your agreement, but you will need to pay a $150 early termination fee if you cancel before your plan ends.
The Green Energy-24 is a fixed-rate plan with a guaranteed rate that is locked in for two years. Champion Energy will purchase renewable energy credits (RECs) to offset your electricity usage with 100% wind-sourced power if you sign up for this green energy plan.
The Free Weekends-12 is another fixed-rate plan with a one-year contract. Unlike the other plans on this list, it comes with free energy usage on Saturdays and Sundays.
Champion Energy’s Champ Silver-24 is designed for electricity customers over the age of 60. It’s a fixed-rate plan with a two-year contract and includes a $50 voucher for LED bulbs and a $50 rebate if you upgrade to a smart thermostat.
Services offered by Champion Energy
Champion Energy for residential customers
Champion Energy offers a wide range of residential electricity plans, including renewable energy options. It also provides Texas homeowners and renters access to its Smart Track tool, which provides deeper insight into their energy usage. On top of that, Champion Energy offers 24/7 customer service and customer referral bonuses.
Champion Energy for business customers
The electric company serves all types of businesses, including industrial and government organizations. Commercial customers can get customized energy solutions tailored to their business, as well as around-the-clock customer support.
Green energy options with Champion Energy
Green energy plans are available for both residential and commercial energy consumers. Champion Energy purchases RECs from local wind farms to offset their customers’ energy usage.
Other Champion Energy initiatives
- Rebates for LED bulbs and smart devices: With certain 24-36 month plans, customers will receive a credit for up to $50 worth of LED light bulbs. They’re also eligible for a $50 prepaid credit card if they switch to a smart thermostat within the first six months of their plan.
- Home services: In partnership with CenterPoint Energy, Champion Energy’s CoolSaver Program offers a free A/C tune-up for customers in the Houston area. Plus, customers can get a free set of air filters thanks to the company’s partnership with Second Nature.
- Champion Scholarship Award Program: Champion Energy offers several college scholarships for high school seniors in Texas. Winners can receive up to $5,000 towards their studies
Champion Energy services areas
- Oncor Electric Delivery: This service area covers many parts of Texas, including Dallas, Fort Worth, and Round Rock.
- CenterPoint Energy: This service area includes Houston, the largest city in Texas, and its surrounding towns.
- Texas-New Mexico Power: This service is scattered across the Lone Star State and includes Dickinson and Lewisville.
- AEP Texas: This service area includes communities such as Abilene, Laredo, and McAllen.
SaveOnEnergy’s tips for easy electricity service setup
The transfer process is simple if you’re an existing Champion Energy customer and will be moving soon. All you have to do is contact the provider and provide them with your new address at least 48 hours in advance (although two weeks’ notice is preferred).
Champion Energy electric rates in my area
As we’ve mentioned, Champion Energy’s electric rates will vary depending on where you live. This is because utility companies (which deliver power) have different transmission charges, impacting the rate you pay. When you’re exploring plans, it’s essential to use your specific location to view accurate rates in your area.
You can get up-to-date Champion Energy reviews, plans, and pricing through the SaveOnEnergy marketplace. Submit your ZIP code at the top of the page to find the best rates near you.
Champion Energy FAQs
Will Champion Energy require a deposit?
It depends. If you have a good credit score or can demonstrate other eligibility (including on-time payment history or if you’re over 65, you won’t need to pay a deposit on your service. Otherwise, you will need to pay an upfront deposit. If you can’t afford a deposit, look into purchasing a no-deposit or prepaid plan.
Will Champion Energy charge me a cancellation fee?
If you’re on a fixed-rate plan and cancel before it’s up, you’ll need to pay an early termination fee. These fees range from $150 to $250, depending on your plan.
How can I pay my Champion Energy bill?
Visit Champion Energy’s online portal to make a payment. Alternatively, you can make a payment by mail, phone, or at select in-person locations. If you need help understanding the charges, check out our guide to reading your electricity bill.
Do the Champion Energy rates shown include everything?
The Champion Energy electric rates shown include everything except local taxes and fees.
Contact Champion Energy
- Headquarters: Houston, Texas
- Bill pay: Log in to your Champion Energy account here or call 1-877-653-5090 (Texas) or 1-888-653-0087 (Illinois)
- Customer service: Call 1-877-653-5090 (Texas) or find your local toll-free number here. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Outages: Contact your utility company
New to energy deregulation? Need help finding a plan?
WE’RE HERE! CALL 1-855-209-8145