New Jersey energy rates
Through energy deregulation, New Jersey is one of less than half the states in the country that gives its residents the ability to shop around for the best New Jersey electricity rates by selecting their own electric provider.
This big purchase item requires a lot of research to make the best possible choice from the New Jersey electric suppliers. There are many components to look at, such as whether you want green energy options, how long you want your contract to be, and whether you want a fixed rate or variable rate plan.
New Jersey electricity rates
|Plan Name||Plan Length||Rate|
|Clearview Energy - ClearGreenGuarantee 6 Plus||6 months||$0.083 / kWh|
|Frontier Utilities - NJ Frontier Online Premier 12||12 months||$0.090 / kWh|
|Verde Energy - Clean Power 24||24 months||$0.098 / kWh|
|Constellation - 36 Month Home Power Plan||36 months||$0.100 / kWh|
|Direct Energy - Live Brighter 12||12 months||$0.104 / kWh|
|YEP Energy - 24 Month Fixed Green||24 months||$0.107 / kWh|
Please note: All rates above are accurate as of 11/26/2020, 12:23:45 PM CST for utility Jersey Central Power & Light. Rates may have changed since this date/time. For the most up to date rates in your area, please enter your zip code above.
Energy deregulation in New Jersey
In 1999, the state of New Jersey passed the Electric Discount and Energy Competition Act (EDECA), which gave its residents the ability to select their own energy plans from New Jersey electric suppliers and natural gas providers. This created more competitive New Jersey natural gas prices and electric prices.
The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (NJBPU) oversees the state’s electric and natural gas industries, including the utility companies and energy providers. A public-facing website, NJ Power Switch, helps consumers choose their energy suppliers.
Energy plans in New Jersey
With all of the New Jersey electric suppliers offering a variety of New Jersey electricity prices and plans, the selection process can seem overwhelming. Is there more to look at than just the rate quoted? Actually, there is and Save On Energy has information readily available to help you make your choice.
A few of the resources we provide are:
- Showing you the state’s electric providers
- How to go about choosing your plan
- When to use prepaid plans
- How you can avoid a credit check with no-deposit plans
- Steps to take when moving to a new supplier
- A state-by-state break down of electric bills
You’ll also want to know about:
- Fixed rate plans — Don’t be surprised by how much your electricity costs. With this type of plan, your usage is billed at the same rate for the length of your contract.
- Variable rate plans — Sometimes you can get a lower rate by having the market dictate the price. With these plans, your rate could potentially go up or down each month.
- Prepaid plans — When you want to pay for electricity once and be done with it, you can select a prepaid plan.
- Renewable energy plans — Wind- and solar-powered electricity are available through a number of green energy plans.
In the end, you don’t have to make a decision. If you don’t choose a provider, you’ll purchase your electricity from your local utility company – likely at higher prices.
New Jersey energy companies
There are four electric utilities serving New Jersey — Atlantic City Electric, Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L), Public Service Electric and Gas (PSEG), and Rockland Electric. The role of these utility companies is to deliver your electricity, maintain the power grid, and restore any electrical outages. Call your local utility when your electricity goes out.
There are more than 85 New Jersey electric suppliers, including Clearview Energy, Constellation, Frontier Utilities, and Verde Energy USA. These are the suppliers you’re comparing to buy your electricity from.
Find the right energy plan with Save On Energy
Would you like help going through New Jersey electricity prices to find the plan that works best for you? Save On Energy can be your solution. Our free online marketplace compares prices, options, and terms to help find the best plan for you.
To take advantage of Save On Energy’s free comparison tool:
- Just enter your zip code to compare New Jersey electricity rates and plans.
- Then, sign up for your new plan from our website or by calling the phone number listed.
- Your new provider will finish the setup process for you so you can start enjoying your new plan.
|Utility Company||Emergency Contact Number||Customer Service Number|
|Atlantic City electric||1-800-833-7476||1-800-642-3780|
|Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L)||888-544-4877||1-800-662-3115|
|Orange & Rockland Electric||(Gas): 1-800-533-5325
|Punlic Service Enterprise Groups (PSEG)||1-800-436-7734
|South Jersey Gas||800-582-7060||888-766-9900|
New to energy deregulation? Need help finding a plan?
WE’RE HERE! CALL 1-855-209-8145