Texas Electricity Rates – Make Your Own Choice
The Texas power to choose model stands as an example of one way to make deregulation functional. Part of what makes Texas' system work is that everyone located within the deregulated areas of the state must choose among Texas electric companies.
Beginning in 2002, thanks to Texas Senate Bill 7, most residents and businesses across the state were given the power to choose Texas electricity rates from among competing energy companies.
Today, while nearly 85% of consumers have the power to choose their own Texas electricity rates, the natural gas market remains regulated.
Not sure if you live in a deregulated area of Texas?
There are six utilities in the state that offer consumers their choice of Texas electricity rates:
- Oncor (Dallas-Ft. Worth, Midland, Odessa, Plano, Denton, Addison…)
- CenterPoint (Houston, Galveston…)
- AEP Central (Corpus Christi, Laredo, McAllen, Victoria…)
- AEP North (Abilene, San Angelo…)
- TNMP (Glen Rose, Meridian, Fort Stockton…)
- Sharyland (Brady, McAllen…)
Enter your ZIP code now to see whether you can get competitive offers from Texas electric companies in your area.
Looking to learn more about how the system works?
No matter how experienced you are with deregulation or the Texas electricity rates market, it's important to take your time when selecting a new plan from Texas electric companies. Explore the many resources here at SaveOnEnergy.com® and you'll be an expert in no time!
Which are the best electric companies in Texas?
Texas took its first steps toward energy deregulation in 1999, when a bill was introduced outlining the restructuring of the electricity market. It wasn't until 2002 that the law was finally implemented, dramatically modifying the utility-dominated electricity process that had existed previously. One of the main reasons for the change was to allow competition to enter the marketplace in hopes that Texas electric rates would fall for all residents.
If you have never shopped for energy companies in Texas, you were automatically enrolled with a default provider when deregulation laws took effect.
By sticking with a familiar provider you don't know whether or not you are paying higher Texas electricity rates than you need to. You need to shop plans from the top energy companies in Texas in order to choose the Texas electric rates you'll pay. Offers from electric companies in Texas vary by location. You might discover that the company offering the best electricity rates in Dallas, TX, is different than the company offering the best electricity rates in, Houston, TX. Make sure when you compare Texas electric companies you're looking at options in the correct area of the state for the most accurate rates.
Learning how to compare energy companies in Texas is fairly simple. First, decide what features you're looking for. You could base your decision on who has the lowest Texas electricity rates, which energy companies offer the most long-term plan options or even which providers have the best customer service record.
Regardless of which retail provider you choose for your Texas electricity rates, your utility will continue to deliver electricity to your home or business. It still owns the power lines in your neighborhood and is in charge of maintaining them. As always, be sure to report any power outages or electrical issues to your utility.
While 85% of the state's population can choose among Texas electric rates, the other 15% of residents fall into a few categories. Those who live under city-owned utilities or cooperatives do not always have the power to choose among energy companies in Texas. In these areas, the utility gets to decide whether customers must continue to pay the Texas electric rates it sets or are able to choose among electric companies in Texas.
Additionally, the Public Utility Commission of Texas has not yet opened competition to customers of Entergy Gulf States, Southwestern Public Service Company, El Paso Electric and AEP SWEPCO. The PUCT has determined these areas do not have enough competition in the wholesale market to provide a variety of Texas electric rates to consumers.
Find Texas electricity rates information for top cities around the state:
Are You Experiencing a Power Outage in Texas?
If your electricity supply has been interrupted, you need to report the outage to your utility as soon as possible. Without reports from consumers experiencing problems, utilities aren't always able to properly assess outages. Find your utility's outage contact information below:
Outage hotline: 1-888-313-4747
Outage hotline: 1-800-332-7143
AEP(North and Central)
Outage hotline: 1-866-223-8508
Outage hotline: 1-888-866-7456
Outage hotline: 1-965-668-9551
We can answer your questions.
Ask an energy expert to guide
you to the right plan!